Tuesday 9 August 2016

IT'S OKAY TO LOSE YOUR WAY

Lately, I've been questioning the decisions I made that give my life direction. I look at myself, one year post-undergrad, and I'm nowhere near my dream career. In some ways I feel like I've failed. In other ways I just feel plain lost.

I've thought about completely exiting my current field, the psych realm. I've thought about continuing my education in grad school. I've even thought about just taking a break completely. But would making those changes really make me happy? I didn't have a concrete answer for that.

But then I asked myself, why am I so worried about it right now? Is it because I feel like a child in an adult world AKA my twenties? Or is it because I see the people around me excelling and I'm stagnant? Do I really feel that inferior?

Taking a step back from all of these hard questions, I realized these thoughts probably aren't so unusual to be thinking. Most of us in our twenties are muddling through the same issues and concerns.

Did I pick the right major?

Am I going to be happy in this field for 40 more years?

Am I going to make enough money?

Will I come home feeling like I put in my best effort to change someone's life, or will I feel like I just pass paperwork all day?

Haven't we all had a moment when we asked ourselves at least one of these questions? We most definitely have. But I've discovered that it's normal to feel lost sometimes. Isn't it just a part of figuring this stuff out?

If we were content all the time, life would be too easy. The challenges are what make this thing fun, right? I think we were meant to question our decisions to ensure that yes we did pick the right choice, or maybe the wrong one. In time, you will be able to answer all the questions that may seem so difficult now, but there's no use losing sleep over it today.

In twenty years you may decide you don't feel fulfilled in your current career. When that moment comes, I think that's when you can accurately make a decision to go a different way. There is no use worrying about it now because in reality, you don't know until you're there.

If you're feeling lost, don't worry. I promise you will find your way. Whether it's in a week, twelve months, or five years, you will figure it out. All you can do it go with what makes you happy right now. Turn your passion into your career. Like to write? Write. Like to workout? Become a personal trainer. Like tech? Work at an IT place. It's as simple as that. Do what makes you happy because that's the best you can do for you at this very moment.

You will find your way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment