Wednesday 4 November 2015

I WISH I TALKED TO MY DAUGHTER

I pity Baba Florence each and every time I see him. He is very close friend of mine and a neighbor in Seme.
He used to brag to me a lot about his daughter. He would tell me of how his daughter was passing with flying colors in class, how his daughter had big dreams of becoming a nurse and make a difference in her village. He would tell me of how teachers praised her daughter each and every time he went to visit her.
To him everything seemed perfect.
Despite being very poor he gave his daughter everything she needed. I remember some time back he had to skip breakfast and lunch for a week just to save enough money to buy her daughter a new pair of uniform.
He really loved his daughter so much
He thought he had done everything that he needed to do as a father and as a parent. She was her only hope.
It was not long until Baba Florence got a heartbreaking news from her daughter who was sent away from school by the head teacher ***** primary school. Florence was pregnant, at 15!
Baba Florence was so shocked that he collapsed.
He could not believe what her daughter uttered to him.
“Why is God punishing me this way he cried out loud? Haven`t I suffered enough God? You have put me in poverty and now you bring shame to me? Why my daughter? Why my only hope?”
Baba Florence was so heartbroken he turned to his daughter as tears cascaded down his cheeks, “my daughter why are you so ungrateful? Why decide to repay me this way after all the struggle and suffering I have gone through just because of you.”
Baba Florence did not want to be the laughing stock in the village so he decided to give away his only daughter to his relatives who live in Uwasi, the other side of Siaya County, to take care of her.
Florence would deliver safely and join the Teen Moms Of Action For Gods Love  Club, but she would never see the inside of a classroom again.
Her dream was shuttered completely
Baba Florence gnashes his teeth wishing he had talked to his lovely daughter about sex.
“If only my love would have extended to provision of sexuality information……,” his voice trails off.
Parents have a huge role to play in providing sex education to their children. They should never shy away when it comes to discussing sex related issues with their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment